8 Ways to Live Your Best Life from EmpowerHer17
Last weekend I went to Chicago where I sat in a room full of melanin, coconut oil, fly threads, curls, and kinks. This room of flyness was for Blavity’s 2nd annual EmpowerHer 2017 conference; a conference that brings together influencers and entrepreneurs of color into one room to hear inspiring talks about creativity, leadership and how to live your best life. I’m still on a high from hearing dope women like Zim Ugochukwu CEO of Travel Noire, Lena Waite film Producer and Actor Master of None and Producer, and a personal fav, Luvvie from Awesomely Luvvie. These fabulous Boss ladies spoke on everything from their careers, daily routines, work/life balance, relationships, trademarking, throwing powder on the bed and navigating white spaces.
I collected 8 MAJOR keys 🔑 (Insert DJ Khaled’s Voice) for creatives, influencers, entrepreneurs, and anyone out here trying to live their best life. Check out 8 lessons you need to know NOW in order to live your best life from some of the best in the game- straight off the stage of Blavity’s Empower17.
8 Major lessons you need to know NOW from Blavity’s Empower17
The road to success ain’t always pretty. Sometimes Sh!t gets ugly. (Alex Wolf, Writer/Host)
2. Don’t be afraid to take risks and stir some sh!t up! (Lena Waithe, Actor/Producer)
3. Emails are a distraction and distractions are a slave to progress.(Zim Ugochukwu, CEO of Travel Noire)
4. Don’t wait to be great, you’re great now. 🥇 (Alex Wolf, Writer/Host, Founder of Boss Babe)
5. Always stay true to you. If you have something that’s uniquely “strange” about you, aka your squareness, embrace it and share it (Danielle Leslie, Founder of Culture Add Labs)
6. Fear is just an obstacle, Face it! (Danielle Leslie, Founder of Culture Add Labs)
7. Self care is the best care. (Nickeca “Nick” Alder, Editor-In-Chief of Black Girl Fly Magazine)
8. Never change who you are, even for some extra coins in your pocket.
Now go forth and prosper,